Saturday, November 21, 2009

Low Iodine diet

I am a few weeks into the low iodine diet. As anything it is easier after a few weeks. When I first started this diet it was very tough and frustrating. I should have been more prepared. As I have searched on the internet there has been some help on this subject mostly from this website, but I think my experience may help serve someone that is starting the diet today or soon.

The biggest revelation I have had is that I can eat the cereal Shredded Mini Wheats. This has always been a good cereal. I do not eat it all the time on a normal diet, but I do like it and having it as a snack has made it very helpful. They even have strawberry and blueberry muffin flavored variety. They are packed with fiber so they fill you up in between frustrating "What the heck am I do eat for my next meal" times.

These are some of the things I have also been eating:

-Fresh Homemade Bread - My wife has always wanted to make home made bread and this was her chance. With a few substitutions we have some really good home made bread that we normally do not have. The only downside here is that it takes a few hours preparation.

Breakfast
- Egg Whites and Iodine Free Pancakes - I have had this most mornings.
- Egg Whites and Oatmeal - When I want a break from pancakes
- Egg Whites and hash browns ( I like ketchup on top)
- Banana

Lunch has been tough. The best is to make large dinners so you have leftovers I think.

Dinners.
- Rice and Ground Turkey with Seasonings (Stuffed Peppers)
- Steak and Sweet Potato with Vegetables
- Chicken Fajitas with corn tortillas
- Spaghetti with ground turkey or breaded chicken (Make or find a spaghetti sauce that does not have iodized salt) In the end the Spaghetti Sauce is so yummy and fresh.
- Meatloaf ( I prefer ground turkey) My wife found Ketchup without Salt
- Turkey Roasted or cooked in a Crock Pot (this helps with lunch the next few days)

Snacks
-Fruit (lots of fresh fruit helps a ton, smoothies too with frozen fruit)
-Unsalted Nuts (Target had unsalted almonds and cashews)
-Popcorn (oil and popcorn kernels in a pot on the stove and then add non-iodized salt)
-Almond Butter unsalted from Costco - pretty dang good

Treats
-No Bake Cookies
- Iodine Free Brownies

Essentials
-Carton of Egg Whites

Things you can still eat
- Jam or Jelly
- Skittles
- Orange Juice and other juices


I wish I knew about doTERRA essential oils and DDR Prime earilier on in my Thyroid Cancer journey. They have helped me feel more comfortable and I feel like they helped with my final negative result post my 3rd surgery.  If you want to learn more about it go here.

1 comment:

  1. My period would last for one month and I began to lose in weight. I think there is something wrong with my medicine so I switched to natural thyroid supplements weeks ago and I felt that the symptoms have lessened.

    ReplyDelete