Sunday, March 4, 2012

Biopsy guided with an ultrasound

This was a pretty cool idea. Stick a needle in my neck and watch it on a screen so you know you are not sticking the needle in the wrong spot. Genius right?

The day came for the the biopsy and I found myself waiting for an hour in the waiting room. After an hour they called me back and told me that they are not sure if they want to do it because they are worried that the tissue samples would not be kept frozen since it was a Friday and they did not know if everything was the same on Saturdays for the labs doing the testing. Nothing like waiting an hour to wonder why someone did not do some homework before scheduling me on a Friday and making me wait. This is just how going to the dr is like. Waiting and you cannot ever be concerned with the endless amounts of wasted time due to inefficiency. There has to be a doc somewhere that is efficient and doesn't waste patients time and treats patients better.

Finally, they discovered the tissue samples would be fine if they took them out and they asked me to change into an open robe with my shirt off. They had me lay on a table and cleaned the area with the iodine like sterilizing stuff that is dark orange and makes a mess. The radiologist came in and put a general anesthetic in my neck and then started taking samples. He must have gotten around 8-9 samples since he was in and out around that many times. I did not mind since I could not feel much and I wanted to make sure the tests had enough samples. Soon enough the poking with a needle while looking at a monitor was over. (they should have had a monitor built into the ceiling tile so I could watch what the doc was watching on the screen behind me) They cleaned off the orange stuff and then put an interesting bandage that had a cold compress built into it. But why they did not shave my lower neck (upper chest some) was beyond me. That hurt more than the process itself when a few hours later I had my wife rip that thing off as fast as she could.

It hurt for a few days, but I read and heard that using some of the doTerra essential oils would speed the healing and reduce the bruising, so I tried that. I was pretty happy that it healed quick and did not stop me from most of the physical activity I usually enjoy.

The results. Of course the annoying thing about tests is that you do not get results until a day or two or even three later. Many people start to know you are going in for test beforehand and the moment a test is over friends and family want results. Well so do I, so their instant questioning only worsens the frustration. It is not a friends fault that they are trying to be a good friend and show they care, but being easily annoyed at times it makes me want to shake them up and tell them they obviously have not been through our amazing medical testing system lately. Even if you want to get a blood test for anything simple they usually send it somewhere and you don't get results for a day or two.  This blog may be sounding that I am hyper critical, but most of these things are just thoughts and sarcasm, as I usually am not really bothered by most of these things that I want to improve.

So the test was done on Friday. On Monday we got a call from Dr Maturlo and she said that the pathology was negative, but the thyroglobulin test came back extremely high, like 28,000 in some unit. So she wanted me to meet with Dr Denys (the ENT surgeon that removed the thyroid to begin with).  So good news, but not that good, considering something is still wrong even thought the pathology doesnt show it.

No comments:

Post a Comment