Sunday, March 4, 2012

Low Iodine Diet the third time around

The low iodine diet was much easier the third time around.

I started to make my own almond milk by soaking one cup of almonds in water for a few hours and then blending them with 4 cups of water. After they were blended I would strain out the gritty stuff using an unused nylon of my wife. I would usually add vanilla and some sugar to make it taste better.

Once I had my own almond milk I could make a protein shake using it as a base. Using protein powder from brown rice (vegan). Which also helped that after watching the movie Forks Over Knives, we started getting plant based protein powder instead of whey or animal based protein powder.

I also already knew I could eat Frosted Mini Wheats cereal. But now having milk was a nice addition.

My wife found unsalted peanut butter and I added iodine free salt to it.

She also made fresh bread a few times. Both wheat and french bread.

The ginger snaps that she made that did not have iodine in them were especially yummy.


1 comment:

  1. Is there a low-iodine powdered shake mix that I could drink for this diet? I really don't have time to make special foods, and I'm OK with a liquid diet for a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete