Sunday, March 4, 2012

Low Iodine Scan - Uptake

I thought doing the scan or uptake was a waste of time after doing it a few times already. Dr Maturlo had me do an ultrasound which I also thought was a waste of time.

The good news was that the scan came back negative, there was no cancer tissue that was responsive to the radioactive iodine (r131).  But I did have a higher than normal level of thyroglobulin during my blood test while I was hypothyroid. So when Dr Maturlo called with these two tidbits of news she also asked that I go and get an MRI. My wife encouraged me to go that day so I went and got an MRI. An MRI, must be a form of torture in some countries. Sitting still with a cage on your head reminds me of that movie, the man with the iron mask. When I got there they asked me to change into a set of scrubs. I did bring my Serenity essential oil with me this time around to help me relax and sleep. It helped and the 45-60 min went by fast as I was mostly asleep.

I asked for my own copy on a CD on my way out. I figured since I just paid around $1000 for that torture device, which was actually pretty relaxing this time around, I might as well have something to show for it. When I got home my wife and I looked at the MRI, and of course it all looked crazy and we did not know what we were looking at.  As you would guess my wife found many things that made her worried from looking at the MRI.

We got a call the next day from Dr. Maturlo and she wanted to meet with me right away. That could not be good, right? As we guessed they found a mass that was around 8mm x 12mm. I assumed it was like a jelly bean or so. The next step was to either remove it or try and figure out if it is thyroid cancer coming back or not. We decided on me having a biopsy with a guided ultrasound.


No comments:

Post a Comment